Skip to content Accessibility info


Rental Property Insurance

Rental property insurance generally covers damage to your residential space and personal belongings. It provides coverage for lost rental income and medical and legal costs (liability) as well.

Property coverage

This pays for damage to your dwelling caused by natural disasters, fires, theft, vandalism, other unfortunate events, or irresponsible tenants. Make sure you know the perils included in the coverage. You can opt for extra protection to ensure all risks associated with renting a property are covered by your policy.

Liability coverage

If you are found liable for the injuries sustained by your tenant or a visitor to your property, this coverage takes care of their medical bills. Some instances where your tenant or visitor gets injured include maintenance work, a collapsed ceiling, and slippery walkways. If the injured individual decides to file a lawsuit against you, liability insurance pays for your legal fees as well.

Rental income loss coverage

Sometimes, events happen that render your property uninhabitable. This may be due to fire damage, pest infestation, or burst pipes. Rental income protection temporarily reimburses the rental payments your tenant is supposed, but is not obligated, to pay you.

Personal property coverage

This offers protection to furnishings, appliances, and other personal property in your rental home. Personal property includes washing machines, refrigerators, air conditioners, and other items you furnish your rental space with. Your personal property insurance does not cover your tenant’s personal belongings, so it’s smart if you advise them to consider getting renter’s insurance.

Add-on Coverage for Your Peace of Mind

If you’re looking for comprehensive protection, there are many insurance riders you can add to your standard rental property insurance policy. These include:

  • Flood insurance for your property falling on a flood zone.
  • Guaranteed income insurance in case your tenant defaults on their monthly rental payments.
  • Emergency coverage for out-of-pocket expenses you incur to address issues in your property (e.g., transportation cost).
  • Ordinance or law coverage to pay for costs associated with the upgrade of your rental property in compliance with new building codes.
  • Vandalism coverage for damage caused by vandalism.

Buy Customized Coverage for Your Rental Property Needs

We at JF Zwack Insurance Agency, Inc. can customize policies so you get the appropriate coverage for your rental property. Contact us today for more information.